Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Smokey Dykes and Freudian Sleeps

Slow start today, Libran verbosity- chatting with lover about my concept of a "5-year plan", and the subtle differences of a "3-year plan" which she bore well (or was it I doing the boring?) Any conversation that has sentences which begin with, "Now, by 40 years of age..." and kicked off with a little recap of our life plans in our early 20s (we'll have been together 6 years next March)... is going to be long-winded.

I was working up to a brilliant point about how everything segued together to a pinnacle that was in itself the very exemplification of us both achieving self-actualisation and inner harmony (I’m a Libran). This all depended on a very particular and subtle perspective/ stance (pronounced “perspective stroke stance”, or maybe in some cultures it’s more slashing than stroking). Anyhow, I digress, there was an overarching reason for it all... and there, to quote the big E (Mme DeGeneres), I congratulated myself too soon, thinking my lover's going to be so impressed, she'll think how clever she is...and…. it all disappeared in a poof of smoke (or to coin a phrase, and why not, a dyke of smoke?) I continued rambling a little while to try to re-mount as it were (always important to get right back on if one inadvertently falls off somehow, I feel). Anyhow, the whole thing trailed into a negligible, forgettable point.

The upshot (or lack thereof) being, I don't know whether I should be relieved that lover didn't seem to notice the fizzle at the end, or rather concerned that such are her expectations of yours truly, that non-earth shattering anti-climaxes, albeit verbal, do not disappoint. Accordingly, I am currently in the in-between state in the nether regions of being peeved and relieved, which I shall dub peelieved to describe the phenomenon:

Peelieved:
The state of being upset that nobody has noticed how stupid one has been, inextricably coupled with bullying from the subconscious, which chalks it all down to expectations.

Speaking of Freud, which I wasn’t, but I was thinking of him, which is in fact the same thing: I am recently beset by a whole new type of Freudian slip. I shall christen this eponymously after an ironic error by yours truly, when I inadvertently said something very sexual in conversation and then to amend, “Freudian sleep”.

Freudian sleep (typing variety) aka Freudian slop:
The affliction whereby typos are inappropriately appropriate (or vice versa), and the simple slip of an over-eager butter-finger can produce entirely different results than intended. This is often undetected by spellcheckers and, unless colloquial, these neo-words slip under the radar and into general circulation.

My best examples are, by their very nature, non-reproducable here. Although I can, however, reveal a lesser offender where I routinely type the ubiquitous “it” as a three letter palindromic word and a small bird, contextually this can be incriminating.

This all culminates (or not as the point may be), in a recent job application for a lesbian company in which I professed to be “au fait with women’s cliterature”, I heard back from them too, so intrigued were they no doubt with my fearless feminist wordsmithery and while they were interested to receive my open application and definitely wanted to keep it on file (such was its comedic value no doubt), there were, for me at that time, “no openings”.
Oh well, I guess tit happens to the breast of us.

5 comments:

Janet said...

I really enjoy your blog - great writing, wit and a sense of humor. Can you tell me how you get the blasted RSS Feeder logo on your page?

Forever technically challenged -

MLC
http://www.mid-lifeclarity.blogspot.com

pink coloured glasses said...

to mlc-
from pinkcolouredglasses
Thank you so much, flattery much appreciated. Likewise about your own blog, I like the picture too.
RSS feed-wise....
I went to feedburner.com, then clicked the "Learn how to burn...Blogger" link and followed the instructions. At the end, I chose HTML in Blogger Settings and pasted the code in. Apropos the logo, I selected the default one offered and moved it to the top left of my own accord in Settings/Template I recall. Hope this helps (couldn't find your e-mail). All the best, pinkcolouredglasses.

Janet said...

I have configured the feed - now I need to learn how to add the icon/widget? Thank you - you did help immensely.

The photographs of the female form on my blog are by Ruth Bernhard - she's an amazing photographer, now deceased. One of her mentors/inspirations was Edward Weston. midlifeclarity@mac.com

girl2grl said...

Just found your blog today and I have really enjoyed reading your articles...a bit more intellectual then the average lesbian blog, a nice change of pace.

Erica
http://lesbiansanddating.blogspot.com

pink coloured glasses said...

to girl2grl-
Dear Erica
Thanks for the comment/compliment. I have just been roaming around your neck of the woods in cyberspace and enjoyed your site.
pinkcolouredglasses